Monday, September 29, 2014

Focus On What You Can Control

"Focus on what you can control."

That is my motto for the day and will be for the rest of this pregnancy and into post-partem recovery. You see, I've been a Debbie Downer the last couple of weeks and here is why.

Kicking Ass and Taking Names
Three weeks ago I was kind of rocking this whole maternity thing. I had just taken some time off from working out due to a sinus infection and then a vacation to visit the hubby's family. I was worried about my time off and what that would mean for my workouts, but I came back fighting. I performed in the 31 Heroes WOD to honor some fallen soldiers and did shockingly well for my current pregnant condition. The WOD includes running with a sandbag, rope climbs, and some thrusters (squatting and then pressing a barbell overhead). Everyone made me feel so good about how I did and I thought to myself, "It really isn't that hard to stay active during pregnancy." 


That weekend I was in a 10 mile bike race to bring awareness to SIDS and even hauled my two and a half year old on the back.



 It felt so good to be active and able to still do the things I love. I know what you're thinking...you're thinking, "Oh, she over did it and gets hurt." Well, I DID get hurt, but not from CrossFit or riding my bike. I got hurt from doing something that every mother in America does when they help their toddler get dressed. I was bending over her to get her legs into her pants and she grabbed my arms and decided to hang on them. I'm a little angry with myself because I know better to stand bent over like that with a rounded back without my core tight. I mean, that's the whole point of learning good deadlift form, right? Needless to say, I've been in excruciating pain that has involved many massages (not the feel-good kind either) and now a chiropractor and I'm just praying everyday that the pain in my SI joint gets better so I can return to working out.

Now back to the title of this post...

I've been so frustrated to not be active. I hate going to The Pack and just foam rolling or sitting on a lacrosse ball. But today when I was in the shower I looked over at my Goal Board on the wall and saw "Focus on what you can control." So this is my take away: I may not be able to go running like I desperately want to or pick up a barbell at this point and chances are that this may be the way it is for the next 9 weeks of my pregnancy. However, I CAN control some of my mobility. I can keep working on my hips, ankles, and shoulders as long as it doesn't hurt in the bad way. I CAN control what I eat. I've been really bad about my diet lately since everything I eat seems to give me heartburn. Veggies in general (with the exception of tomatoes and peppers) will not give me heartburn so now is the time to load up on them. As "over this pregnancy thing" as I am, I got this. I'm going to focus on what I can control and *try to be somewhat positive about the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment