Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Moment of Weakness...

I know I haven't written in a while and I have a hundred other things to share about, but this is so fresh in my head (and stomach) that I thought I would share.

Finding out that you have a gluten intolerance is really crappy. Having to live through that while pregnant is even worse. When I first found out I was pregnant, I let myself eat whatever I wanted because I was bloated and felt like crap anyway. I quickly learned that clearly is the wrong path to take, especially while pregnant because it can cause less nutrients to get to the baby because my stomach is in overdrive trying to figure out what to do with the gluten. Again for what seems like the thousandth time, I said "never knowingly again" to gluten. I do have the occasional times that I've been glutanized unknowingly that I can tell within a couple of days because of the way my skin breaks out and how I feel lethargic and yucky.

Today I was in one of those pinches where I was running late to get home and have dinner ready so I ordered out. I was good at this point. I ordered a cheeseburger without the bun and everything. The problem was when we got home and my two year old refused to eat a perfectly good, mouth watering, grilled cheese sandwich. This is my favorite food so automatically I start reasoning on why I should eat it. It started out with "I'll take one bite and then make a big deal about how good it is so E will want it. One bite will not kill me." Then it turned into "Well, I already had one bite and she's still not interested so why not eat half?" Within seconds the thing was gone. As much as I would love to say that it was delicious, I can't even remember what it tasted like because I gobbled it up so quick. So how do I feel now?

Well, within seconds I was overcome with guilt and regret to the point where, if I was alone, I would have cried. Within minutes I had a new sore on the roof of my mouth. This could be coincidence but a lot of food allergies show up as sores inside your mouth. An hour later I feel sick. Sick like I ate too much and want to throw up. Sick like I just gained 10 pounds and inches in bloat. Sick like I made a few second mistake that will result in the next two weeks of misery. My coming days will be filled with stomach problems that I don't think you need me to go into great detail about, my jawline and neck being filled with painful cystic zits that are not poppable (meaning no enjoyment out of even popping them) and will probably cause me to shut myself in my house for a day or two when it is at its peak.

So what can I do to ease these symptoms? I'm starting off by taking a relaxing bath to let go of the guilt and ease some of my stomach discomforts. I'm also drink a cup of hot ginger-lemon tea which has known effects to help digestion and tummy irritants. I'll probably drink quite a bit of this the next few days. I'll also drink lots of water in the coming days to help flush out toxins. Eating as clean as possible (little to no processed foods) is a must as my stomach will be in healing mode. I'll still go in and WOD tomorrow morning even though chances are I'll feel sick and lethargic, but exercising makes me feel good and makes my body feel good.

And most importantly, I'll try to forgive myself and move on. I'll read labels and not let this spiral out of control. It's a setback to feeling good, but I will come back from this moment of idiocy.

No comments:

Post a Comment