Saturday, August 4, 2012

Olympics!

It's that time again where athletes from all over the world put their country's differences aside to compete in the greatest sporting event.  The Olympics.  Winter Olympics are exciting for me to watch for about 10 seconds, but the Summer Olympics...I can't get enough!  Thank goodness for DVR or I wouldn't be getting any sleep.  I find the games to be extremely motivating in my fitness endeavors. 

In my first post, I mentioned that I ran from anything volleyball while in college, but then later said I played at the college level.  Both are true.  Initially, I didn't want to play volleyball.  I wanted to be a normal college student and "find myself".  Stupid relationships ending will do that to you.  In 2005, I was in a car accident that changed everything.  I wasn't seriously injured in the sense that I didn't spend any time in the hospital or even go to the hospital.  My injuries made themselves known the next day.  As with a lot of people in minor car accidents, I had hurt neck and back pretty bad.  I found my way to a chiropractor and she was shocked by the extent of the damage done.  I spent months in therapy and when I would ask her about working out, she would tell me that I could walk and that I may have a hard time with anything else at that point.  When I asked her about playing competitive sports, she balked and told me that I wouldn't be able to play competitive sports anymore.  If you know me personally, you know that people telling me what I can and can't do doesn't sit well with me.  Just to prove to myself that no one can put limitations on my body that I don't approve of, I went on to play volleyball at a small private school.  Were we an amazing team with tons of wins?  No, but it was a good time for me personally because not only was I able to play volleyball in a competition-type setting, I excelled in it.  I was MVP and captain of our team.  I was named all-regional and was even nominated for NCCAA Athlete of the Week for my performance at a tournament in Canada.  I wasn't 100% healthy by any means.  I fought injury after injury during those two years.  I was also older than the other team and my team mates from the time off I had taken to "find myself".  My team nicknamed me "Grandma."  The reason I share this is because I learned an important lesson during that time.  Perseverance.  I knew what I wanted my body to do, but I also knew it would take a lot of work to get there.  Isn't that pretty much everyone's battle with their body?  Everyone has in their mind what they would like to look like, but haven't necessarily made the commitment to make that happen.  It's not easy. It doesn't happen overnight.  In my case, it took a LOT of pain and tears. 

I'm sure the Olympians have fought similar battles.  There were times they wanted to quit or didn't want to put the time in.  When they stand on the platform with their medals around their neck with the anthem playing, they know that all the work was worth it.  Okay, so maybe your chance for going to the Olympics is not going to happen but you most likely have other health goals or you probably wouldn't be reading this.  My point is, being healthy takes work and dedication.  You have to commit to working out and eating better.  It's not easy.  The change is not going to happen in a week's time. If you need help, ask for it.  Find it.  Join a group.  If you like to dance, do Zumba or Jazzercise or take a dance class.  If you are scared to run by yourself, join a running club.  You have to find something that is enjoyable to you or all the effort is just miserable and you won't stick with it.

The Olympics have motivated me to try something new.  Maybe I'll take a swim class or join a sand volleyball team.  What has it motivated you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment