Monday, March 3, 2014

14.1 And How Far I've Come

This morning I did my first Opens WOD, 14.1. It was exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I didn't do as well as I had hoped and have been pretty bummed about it. As the day has gone on though, I've reflected on just how awesome my accomplishment actually is. Here's why:

1. I used to be a little overweight. I don't have a dramatic cool transformation of 100 pounds or anything, but when I graduated from high school, I still ate like I was in a gym for three hours a day. The freshman 15 turned into about the freshman 30.



2.  I was in a car accident that screwed my body up pretty bad. My neck, back, and hip may never be the same because of it, but when the chiropractor told me that I would most likely never be able to play competitive sports again and that I should take up power walking, all I thought was "Challenge ACCEPTED!" I decided that nobody can put limitations on my body without my approval. I started running, spinning, weight lifting, lost the excess weight, and went on to play college volleyball at the age of 21! I may have spent more hours in the whirlpool, with ultrasounds, getting taped up, and having ice taped to me than I did on the court, but I did it and earned some pretty awesome awards.


3. I got in ANOTHER car accident (not my fault) that brought up all of my old injuries that I had to work through with another chiropractor.  


4. I had a baby. This is not a bad thing, but it can cause the strongest people to fall into poor lifestyle habits. I vowed that I would be a good role model for my daughter and teach her how to eat healthy and enjoy exercise.


5. I broke my ankle less than a year ago on a hike. This picture was on the two mile hike back to the car when I was trying to convince B that I was fine. I had a lot of rehab for this in order to run in my half marathons two months later.


Back to today. Yes, my double unders sucked but it's something I can work on. It was just another WOD and I will always have a chance to redeem myself on another day. I've come a long way and have overcome some obstacles and I'm pretty freakin' proud of that!






No comments:

Post a Comment